If you have a Case of the Mondays, raise your hand.
*raising hand as high as it will go*
Mondays I tend to reflect on the past WW week since it’s the last day of the week before my week restarts with my weigh in on Tuesdays. This week was a little rough OP b/c of a few social gatherings: Women’s League Tea Party and 2 Mother’s Day brunches. Why oh why do social events revolve around food so much?? I tried my best to not deprive, eat in moderation and enjoy the people rather than the food. I think I did good. Actually I know I did better than I would have done pre-WW so I’ll call it a victory. I didn’t even dip into my Weekly Points b/c I earned so many Activity Points. Bi-winning!
I know I’ve made some great changes in my life. Someone asked me the other day what I can’t believe I use to eat and it’s really not WHAT I use to eat. I can’t believe the QUANTITY I use to eat. In my prime, I could eat 2 Big Mac combos… SUPER-SIZED and not think twice. Yikes! I don’t even wanna think about the points on that bad boy. Now when I’m at a restaurant, I immediately split the plate in half for lunch the next day. Before it was a mental game. “I paid for it, I HAVE TO eat all of it!” Now I have to remind myself that no one NEEDS to eat that much. The cost (no pun intended) to my health is way more expensive.
I’m hoping that I will take all the things I’ve learned so far with me during vacation. Next week I leave for the Bahamas. w00t!
Baked Ziti with Spinach and Turkey
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste
Makes 6 servings*
Original recipe = 10 WW+ points/serving
CB’s changes in red = 12 WW+ points/serving
* I decided to recalculate the points for bigger serving size than the original recipe b/c I was hungry and wanted a heartier portion. lol
1 lb (16oz) high fiber penne (I used 14.5 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne)
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and fresh pepper, to taste
8 oz fat-free ricotta (I used 15oz instead)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
2 cups (8 oz) part skim mozzarella (I used fat free mozzarella)
Spray olive oil (I used PAM olive oil)
1 lb ground turkey breast
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with oil spray.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Drain and return to pot. (I cooked my pasta for 12 minutes)
3. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, cook the ground turkey breast, stirring and breaking it up, until it is cooked through. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Keep warm.
4. In the same saute pan, add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add chopped spinach, ground turkey breast and crushed tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
4. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and ricotta.
5. Add sauce to the pasta and combine. Add cheese mixture. Mix well then transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.
Husband rating: 5/5
My husband is a protein man so I knew I would need to add some protein to the original recipe if he was gonna like it. I’m happy to say he was a HUGE fan of this dish.
Wifey rating: 5/5
There are so many good reasons to love this dish. I’m a self proclaimed carb FA-REAK so I can not recommend Ronzoni Smart Taste any higher. I’ve tried to go to the whole wheat pasta but it’s just not the same for me. But the Ronzoni was SO good! I’m a high fiber pasta convert now. I’m really glad I added the ground turkey for some protein. It went really well with the spinach and cheeses. Although the one change I will make next time is to up the fat in the mozzarella cheese and go with reduced fat instead of fat free. This girl needs a little fat in her cheese to make it melty cheesy goodness.