Husband and I just got home from Palm Springs. It was a little mini vacay to watch
my boyfriend-on-the-side my favorite lefty, Rafa Nadal, play some amazing tennis at the Indian Wells Tennis Center. If you were watching at home, maybe you saw me on TV. The spider cam loved me.
I knew all week that it might be hard to stay within my points while away from the comfort of my home and points tracker (Yes, I have it on my iPhone but tennis fans will give you the evil eye if you so much as take out your phone during match play) so I made sure that I hoarded my Weeklies to dip into.
Unfortunately when I got home I realized I had gone over my points by a whopping 15 points! Ugh. You know what was the death of me? DRINKS. I guess I shouldn’t have wasted points on lemonade and smoothies. Lesson learned. When in doubt… Drink water. –> Weight Watcher Tip of the Day.
So tonight for dinner I knew had to get back on the horse to make up for it.
And the elliptical.
Lemon Chicken with Broccoli
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers
Makes 4 servings
Original recipe = 4 WW+ points
CB’s changes in red = 7 WW+ points
12 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced (I used 1 lb)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 tsp table salt, divided (I used kosher salt)
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp olive oil
1-1/2 cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 tsp minced garlic (I used 1 large clove)
2-1/2 cups broccoli, small florets (I used 16 oz bag of frozen broccoli florets, defrosted)
2 tsp lemon zest, or more to taste
2 tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper on a plate; add chicken and turn to coat.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Move chicken to a plate. Set aside.
3. Put 1 cup of chicken broth and garlic in same skillet. Bring broth to a boil over high heat, scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add broccoli. Cover and cook about 1 minute.
4. In a small cup, combine remaining 1/2 cup of broth, 1/2 tablespoon of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add to skillet and bring to a simmer over low heat.
5. Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes.
6. Stir in chicken and lemon zest until heated though. Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice.
Husband rating: 5/5
Another chicken dish. Another winner for my husband. I swear he licked the plate clean in 2 minutes.
Wifey rating: 4.5/5
I really enjoyed this dish. It had a great lemon flavor. Very clean and fresh. If you like lemon, you’ll like this dish.