I want to thank all my readers. Even if its just Nikki right now. *snort*
Writing in this little ol blog is actually a great tool for me during my weight loss journey. It forces me to eat my dinner and then blog. It doesn’t leave me time to consider having just one more serving. When I’m blogging, it gives my brain a chance catch up with my tummy. I realize when I’m done writing I’m actually not hungry.
Weight Watcher Tip of the Day: When you get a hunger pain, drink some water. It might be a thirsty pain instead. One of my friends gave me this tip and I had to share. It was like an epiphany. A brilliant flash of light. And you get your daily water in too. Win-win.
Crock Pot Lasagna v.1
Recipe from Weight Watchers
Makes about 6 servings
9 WW+ points/serving
1 pound uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz canned tomato sauce
1 tsp table salt (I used kosher salt)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheeses, divided
6 dry lasagna noodles, no-cook
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine beef, onion and garlic. Break up meat with a wooden spoon while everything cooks, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes more to allow flavors to blend.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
3. Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.
4. Cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Turn off crockpot.
5. In a separate bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the lasagna. Cover the crockpot until the cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes.
Husband rating: 5/5
He liked it a lot and kept asking me if I really made it in the crockpot. Yes, yes I did!
Wifey rating: 4+/5
I really enjoyed this recipe. It worked great for my carb craving. I cooked it on low for 5 hours but I think next time I’ll set it for 4 hours since the lasagna noodles were a tad soft for my taste.