Week #1 down… X more weeks to go!
One of the things that I’m enjoying a lot more than I thought I would is cooking dinner. Don’t get me wrong. I love being in the kitchen but I’ve always loved baking more than cooking. Baking just seems to have more immediate gratification aka licking beaters. Oh! Don’t look at me that way. You know you’re a beater licker too.
Best thing about cooking more? My husband does the dishes. I didn’t even ask. He just does it. every. night. I could get use to that. lol
Weight Watchers Tip of the Day: Invest in a scale and get more chips! Even though serving size is on any pre-packaged food, I swear I get more [insert snack food here] when I weigh. Case in point. Right now my current fav salty snack is Special K Cracker chips. Serving size is 1 oz or about 30 chips. Now I haven’t actually counted but I *KNOW* I get more than 30 chips with 1 oz. Huzzah! I’ll take it!
Balsamic Chicken & Mushrooms
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers
Makes 4 servings
Original recipe = 4 WW+ points/serving
CB’s changes in red = 7 WW+ points/serving
2 tsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into four 4-oz pieces
2 cups mushrooms, sliced (I used portabella mushrooms)
1/3 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 cups brown rice
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a saucepan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, mustard and garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.
3. Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Sauté chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a platter and wrap with foil to keep warm.
4. Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in saucepan. Sauté mushrooms for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining tablespoon of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.
5. Serve chicken topped with mushrooms (and brown rice).
Husband rating: 5/5
He’s a (chicken) breast man so I could make a chicken anything dinner and he’d be happy.
Wifey rating: 4/5
I liked it but I wish I could have tasted more of that wonderful balsamic dijon marinade with the chicken. Next time I might double the marinade. I think it will increase the points but probably not by much.