So yeah. I started Weight Watchers yesterday.
And if you know me… I am gung ho (almost to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) when I start something. So I jumped on Weight Watchers online and looked for recipes right after WW took $17.95 from my credit card.
Another thing you should know about me. I’m a carboholic. So of course my first post WW meal was gonna be pasta of some kind. Hey! Give me some time to adjust. I can’t just go “cold turkey” on carbs. (No pun intended.)
Weight Watcher Tip of the Day: Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate and 1 serving will look like a lot more! I’m all about the mind games.
Baked Mac&Cheese with Broccoli
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers
Makes 8 servings
Original recipe = 7 WW+ points / serving
CB’s changes in red = 9 WW+ points / serving
Cooking spray (I used Pam Olive Oil)
12 oz uncooked pasta, gemelli or other twisted pasta (I used 16oz box)
1/8 tsp table salt, for pasta cooking water
10 oz broccoli, small florets
1 tsp butter
1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2-1/2 cups fat-free skim milk
1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups onion, diced
1 cup low-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1-1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
8 oz of Foster Farms grilled chicken strips, rough chop
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spritz some cooking spray in a 2-quart baking dish.
2. Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions. Add broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
4. In same saucepan you already used above, whisk together milk and flour until blended. Add diced onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Add chicken. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
6. Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Husband rating: 5/5
He really liked it esp with the chicken. He’s a protein man so I knew adding the chicken would make the dish better for him.
Wifey rating: 4/5
The dish was really good and I’m sure I’ll make it again. But I really wanted to add more cheese. Although I know that’s not the point. haha